To request this kit, click link above.
Alamance County Public Libraries provide free and open access to lifelong learning, resources for everyday living, and reading for pleasure in a welcoming environment. Our collections, services and programs enhance the quality of life for individuals, families, and communities. Contact the Library webmaster.
Alamance County Public Libraries operates as a Department of Alamance County Government. Visit the Alamance County Website at www.alamance-nc.com.
There was no day that dumplings couldn't make better. Pacy is back The beloved heroine of The Year of the Dog and The Year of the Rat has returned in a brand new story. This summer, Pacy's family is going to Taiwan for an entire month to visit family and prepare for their grandmother's 60th birthday celebration. Pacy's parents have signed her up for a Chinese painting class, and at first she's excited. This is a new way to explore her art talent But everything about the trip is harder than she thought it would be--she looks like everyone else but can't speak the language, she has trouble following the art teacher's instructions, and it's difficult to make friends in her class. At least the dumplings are delicious... As the month passes by, Pacy eats chicken feet (by accident ), gets blessed by a fortune teller, searches for her true identity, and grows closer to those who matter most.
• What do you know about your own heritage?
• Why do the kids at the Taiwanese-American convention call Pacy a "Twinkie"?
• How would you react if you were called names because you were different?
• How do you feel when you see someone else who is different?
• How would you describe the culture in your home? Do you have any special family traditions or superstitions?
• Should Pacy's parents have taught her to speak Chinese when she was younger? Why or why not?
• What do you think is the biggest difference between Pacy's life in America and life in Taiwan?
• What is your greatest talent?
• What is your greatest pleasure?
• Why does Pacy feel like a ghost or invisible sometimes?
• Which character did you relate to the most?
• Where in the world would you like to travel someday?